Have you ever made a project and called it complete, only to keep fantasizing about what else needed to be done to it? That was the situation with this assemblage. It was one of my earlier pieces and it was intended as a swap, but it never left my possession as I fell in love with it, and with the story. You can read more about the first version here.
It was a good exercise to look back at this post and this piece and evaluate my growth. I think the quality of my pictures has vastly improved.
Quite a nice pick me up, if I do say so. First off the color reflects the vibrancy of the Alice story so much more now. I added dozens of red paper roses and used the mini playing cards to hide my glue and wire. My old shrine was missing a nod to the Cheshire Cat. Using the Red Queen Collage Sheet took care of that and added a good bit of that color with new imagery in other areas too.
A few new trinkets were added to the project as well. I have been wanting this tiny tiny teapot with hinged lid ever since I laid eyes on it. I absolutely adore it. Notice too that the tiny door opens. I just adore movement in my work.
The gold rabbit bead was a nice addition to the area with the mushroom. In the first run, there was a spot open where the bunny was that I thought needed to be filled. Unfortunately I had run out of the particular color of mossy stuff that I used. The rabbit covered this issue up nicely.
You may also notice the change in the wood color. I used vintage photo distress stain and stained the whole thing. I do not recommend doing this after an assemblage is complete, by the way, it was a bit challenging. A few roses are now a bit aged! The stain warms up the piece considerably and goes well with the new vibrant tones.
Thanks for joining me on my re-do. I hope this post inspires you to revisit that piece that you often look at thinking it needs just one more...