I am so excited to begin my journey with Xyron! For this assignment we were asked to recreate a project that was "Not Xyron, but should be." This framed scrabble tile sentiment was a great inspiration for my little shadowbox. I loved the simple graphic in the background paper, as well as the re purposed use for the scrabble tiles.
And here is what I ended up with:
Xyron 1.5" Sticker Maker
Xyron Mega Runner
Xyron 3/8" High Tack Adhesive Dots
Xyron 1/4" Double-Sided High Tack Tape
Xyron Glue Stick For Corners
Graphic 45 Paper
The inspiration project had a simple frame without glass, however, I could not find something along those lines in my stash, so I committed to trying to use what I had. I find that this can be so rewarding, and it can save you money too.
Since I had a deep inset with not too much planned for the inside I decided to use some decorative tape to add interest to the inside of the frame.
Be sure to burnish down your tape. Many of these are very low tack (not very sticky.) I used a ruler to push down each edge and smooth over my tape.
Next up I added a piece of scrapbook paper to the back of my box. I used my Mega Runner for this, and it made really quick work of the task. Here I chose a pattern with a similar flair as the inspiration project.
Here you can see I started to play with layout. I decided after a few trials to matte my letters in order to add more grounding to the text. Because of the depth of the frame, I decided this was best.
The Xyron Glue Stick for corners worked perfect to create the small mattes. I went to my scrap box and found a few bits of Couture I had left over. I am always so happy to utilize those small scraps!
I must admit, this part was fun. I simply added the tiles to the Xyron Adhesive dots and I had my letters all lined up and ready to go in no time.
The double sided tape was used to hold each word element down to the background.
A note on my embellishment. I made it from scratch. It is a bit of burlap that I coated in gesso and let dry. Then I free form cut out my heart and wings. The bits were then altered with all kinds of stuff until I liked the look: stain, ink, gilders paste, marker...I finished it off with a few old transistors to give it that industrial touch I like so much.
Once I put my piece together I realized it needed just a little something more. I added tape to the outside of the box.
Then I decided to use some Dresden I had on hand. I must say that the Xyron Sticker Maker worked great to stick this down. I always struggle with glue showing when I use wet glue on Dresden.
One trick though: rub down lots and peel slow in order to ensure that the adhesive comes up with the Dresden.
And that is it. Simple and fun and using the stuff I had on hand!
I love how the decorative tape adds so much texture to the whole piece.
Here is a close up of the fun heart embellishment I was able to create from scratch.
I hope you enjoyed! Thanks for stopping by!