Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Altered Keys and Boho Chic

In order to keep my crafty mojo going, I recently signed up for two swaps in my Art Charms group.  The first one I am going to show off is for the Altered Keys swap.  I just love keys, and love to alter things, so this swap was perfect for me. 

The hardest part of this swap was deciding which keys I could part with.  For some reason, I just love them.  Perhaps it is the symbolism of new opportunity and success that attracts me to these random objects. 

I started off by adding a nice blue patina to all of my keys.  It is almost hard to see due to all the crazy embellishments.  On this one I layered filigree, a charm I made and then the bottom was wrapped in copper wire and crystals.

This is another one of my favorites.  I think it is the sentiment that I need to remember from time to time!

I love the smashed button on this one. I got the idea to do smash the buttons from seeing some awesome charms on Pinterest.  I had a bunch of old metal buttons that I had patina'd a long time ago.  I removed the shank and then pounded it flat before attaching it to my key.  The heart embellishment is a broken charm from the next project. 

These charms are for the Boho Chic swap.  Now, at first I did not think I was going to join up, but after seeing some ideas online and within my group (Thanks Peg!) I totally jumped on board.  I hope that they fit the theme.  I started with the Chinese heart charms that I just found at a local scrapbook show.  They were brass in color, but I changed that with the help of the Vintaj patinas.  I thought this color palate helped to carry out the intended theme. I then wrapped copper wire around the top.  This added texture and also took away from the heart shape, which I actually like.  I tried to add another element in many other ways, but ended up deciding that simple was best and left them as is. 

I am looking forward to seeing the return on these very fun swaps.  Thanks as always for stopping by.



Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Romantic Altered Clock Case

The base for this project is one that has been lying around in my stash for quite some time.  It was given to me by my dad, who is an antique dealer.  Once in a while he will share goodies with me that he can't make money on.  I did not snap a photo before, but I will tell you it was just an empty wooden clock case with an old oak 80's finish. Of course it is now filled with all kinds of Alpha Stamps goodness!

I started by painting the whole thing in a few different dark brown colors.  I was impatient with the drying and layered on my Picket Fence Crackle Paint before the first layer was dry.  You can see some of the evidence of my hastiness at the bottom.  I embraced it though, and added some colors back in once the crackle was really dry (as in overnight dry.)  This looked really horrible and messy when I left it, but it turned out well in the end.  Actually since this week's challenge over at Simon Says Stamp and Show is to make something "messy" I think this piece fits the bill. 

The piece had a natural opening that I decided to back with a piece of resin paper I made long ago.  I had extra resin mixed up for an assemblage project and simply dumped the extra on the paper.  It gave it a nice transparent glossy look, so I added another layer of paper behind it for more texture.  Yet another previously altered element is the "Cherish" tag.  That was done with Sophisticated Finishes I believe...I added white paint and wiped it off to get the white to show up on the letter impressions.

I wanted to show off the depth a bit here.  You can also see lots of the materials I used in this project right here.  I just adore the key and the key hole, which were altered with gilders paste.  Inside the small window I added a thoughtful word compliments of the amazing selection of  Valentine Collage Sheets, which was were all the imagery came from.

The hearts were cut from really pretty paper and then topped with a transparent overlay that I cut from the same die.  Lots and lots of paper flowers were added for more detail and dimension.  I also love the old crackle finish of the paint.

I hope you enjoyed my latest installment.  It felt good to get something done creatively!



Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Northern Lights

They are a magical sight, the Northern Lights.

The Norther Lights was the given prompt for this month's design challenge over at Vintaj.  I just could not help but enter with this theme in mind and all kinds of Vintaj stuff on hand. There is a ton of eye candy to be had so stop over and vote for your favorite, there are some beauties.  And, I must say, if you are a fan of their products, these challenges are a blast.  Please consider joining in the fun.

My earrings are simple.  I started with some of the Vintaj patinas and two discs of their art metal.  I made sure to sand the color off the edges so that some of the lovely copper color comes through.  A celestial pattern was stamped with permanent ink and the stars were touched with glitter via a gel pen.  I added some of the Vintaj glaze to seal in my handiwork.

Of course I have to share my personal inspiration...

This photo of the Northern Lights was taken by my sister, Sarah Freitag, deep in Copper Country.  She recently started a blog Copper County Homestead where she along with her boyfriend Jason, document all kinds of fun farmy happenings.  You can read all about chickens, nature, canning, how to make random stuff and yummy farm fresh food.  Feel free to check it out, if you are so inclined!

Sending you some blog love Sarah!