I started by covering each house in a selected piece of paper, mostly from Graphic 45. I was sure to audition each color so that I would have a well composed piece when complete. I used an exacto knife to cut out my windows and trim the edges nicely.
I used a trick I learned from Tim Holtz to add depth and character to each house: inky edges. I used my foam ink applicator to darken the edges of most pieces added to this project. This simple technique adds so much interest to each house. Interestingly enough, the challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show was to show off a Tim technique. This is the application I use most from my hordes of knowledge from the legendary Mr. Holtz.
I also used a trick learned from Tim on my butterflies, just alter it. I was not happy with the look of these chipboard pieces, so I sanded, inked, sanded again, inked, stamped and then glimmer misted to achieve a butterfly that was better suited for my project.
Another way I added interest on these fairy houses was with my fastidious fussy cutting. This takes some patience people, but it is so worth it. I used the imagery from the papers I had and added little fairies and flowers all over the place. Too cute!
Another item I used for texture and interest was a bit of Tim's butterfly tissue tape. I thought it fit in with the theme well, and well, I am addicted to tissue tape, so it wanders into most things I make somehow or another! I also added a touch of glitter on the wings of each fairy with Stickels. This adds just the right amount of sparkle. Flowers from K Company were also added. These were dimensional, so they added more depth to the piece. I think my favorite element are the tiny birds I tucked into a few flowers.
I had put this up on my mantle to photograph it, but I think it just may stay there for a while, after all the dust bunnies up here need someone to keep them company!