Saturday, August 11, 2012

Yes, this really is my Bead Soup post!

Well, first off I am so sorry to be late.  I almost did not post anything at all, due to a trip planned after I had signed up for this event.  I really enjoy doing this blog hop so I thought I could fit it all in, but alas I could not.  I have half of an amazing charm bracelet completed, but it just was not going to happen in time.  So this morning, I took the advice of my crafting pal Joanne Huffman and made a simple assemblage with my focal.

Here is what I was sent by my partner Tanya Wiles.  The piece that she made from what I sent her is really lovely, so please take the time to stop by and leave her some blog love!




As I said before, I started an intricate charm bracelet, but just could not finish it in time.  The amazing hand forged clasp was already attached and I had already used up all those yummy flower beads, so unfortunately they did not make it into my little assemblage where I used my focal.  I know this does not align with the expectations of the hop, but I conceded this morning that something was better than nothing!  I hope you all understand.  Lori, I am so sorry!  Please be sure to stop by Lori's blog here to see what she is up to and also gain access to the blog addresses of all the participants!




Now, I really can't take credit for this idea either.  The house here was made by a wonderful artist Nichola Battliana.  She generously sent me a bunch of goodies a while ago and I thought this was the perfect venue for my cute little fairy home.  The concept was totally hers as well! :)  Thanks for the inspiration Nichola!  She makes wonderful (and way more intricate) teacup dwellings and sells them on her etsy shop.  Please stop by her shop to see her wonderful whimsical work.

The teacup in my piece was actually picked up on my recent trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  I was on the hunt for them due to Nichola's inspiration.  In the north country we have garden gnomes or wee people who help animals.  This cup was found at the last rummage sale I hit on my way out of town.  I could not resist going to one more sale that I saw across the street from my favorite pasty shop, and it payed off.

During my time up north I visited lots of spots that were "Pure Michigan." (cue music...Michiganders, you know what I am talking about...)  I spent time in Crystal Falls and Copper Harbor, I visited the monks for thier sweets at the Jampot and dipped my toes in cool lakes.  I spent quality time with extended family at our camp, ate thimbleberries and raspberries right off the bush, combed beaches for agates, and read three books.  I took in local art, fresh local fish and farm fare, paid respects to my elders and drank strong coffee over rich conversations.

The statement is so true: "If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you."


Cheers,

Rhea  

34 comments:

  1. I LOVE your fairy home! It's adorable! And you managed to use the focal, so that should count, right? After seeing your creation, I totally want a little teacup fairy house of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the house and the teach, very very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I was thinking of making one with a matching cup and saucer a few days ago when I came across a chip in the cup! I was going to glue the cup to the saucer and turn the whole thing sideways so I could hang it on the wall using a plate hanger. Then I'll make the home inside the turned cup. :) I love yours though!
    cobaltgypsy on Swap-bot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creative idea! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries, but I would have loved to see the work in progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How charming! I've been meaning to make a little fairy door for our walls (I have a 2 year old who wouold appreciate) I think we may have to consider something like this too, moveable is always good. Thanks for sharing the inspiration and indeed your something is wonderful and always better than nothing

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so adorable fairy house:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've all been there. Great little teacup design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's very cute and very creative! One of the reasons I'm canceling the summer blog hop is people get tied up in things -- I hope the Jan/Feb one will be easier for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting take on this challenge. I hope you'll share your bracelet on the fb group when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well this is cute and I'm intrigued to see the charm bracelet too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your little cup is adorable. Love the tiny house and the red mushrooms. What I like, too, is that table decoration you have, love how you have glued the map to it. Lovely. You are soooo creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the enchanted teacup. And, I sooo understand (have both sympathy and empathy) about getting behind on projects.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have loved to see your work in progress. The soup your partner sent you is incredibly beautiful. Can't wait to see it finished! Cute assemblage!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a darling miniature vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  16. very cute teacup assemblage. can't wait to see the bracelet

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clever, would love to see a photo of the bracelet, let us know when it is done!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The flower fits in perfectly with the little fairy house. I totally know what you mean about living in Michigan. I just began a new online class by Alisa Burke called "Ode to Nature" which has made me really appreciate where I live and the access we have to the woods and lakes and wetlands that are around here. I feel so lucky to be living here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a pretty focal.And you did use the clasp even if we dont see it.Love and Hugs Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome back Rhea,
    Hope you had a great Vaycay.
    Love your little house in the cup. So sweet.
    Didn't Laura do an awesome job?
    Can't wait to see what she comes up with for you.
    Hugs lynn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like you had a lovely vacation! Oh how I would love to have a little fairy house like that for a workshop! =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This will seem like such a random comment, but after reading your post at the top I have to tell you that my grandmother's maiden name was Rhea Huffmann. Weird, eh?
    Anyway, your little assemblage is really sweet and it looks like you will be having a lot of fun with the rest of those beads!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Rhea,
    Love the little assemblage it is so cute and a nice dwelling for a Gnome.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute assemblage. Sometimes life just gets in the way, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute. I actually 'awwwwww'-ed when I saw it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love your teacup, it's adorable. I will have to check out Nichola's etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is adorable!! Any little fairy would be thrilled to live there! Great use of your soup.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your fairy house, very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cute little fairy house!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a cute and creative idea, Rhea!

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!