Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Time Tag

I just love the inspirations that online craft challenges provide. This tag was done for Simon Says Stamp's weekly challenge were Distress Inks are the focus.  I used them in several different ways. 

The project was started with a traditional manila tag.  I started layering color my swiping a (new to me) ink color, Rusty Hinge, directly on the tag.  I then buffed in Vintage Photo as well as Brushed Corduroy.  A few spritzes of water intensified the color and created texture for the background.  While I was drying with a heat gun, I had a sudden urge (because it was left out in my craft area) to add a spray of Espresso color wash to the bottom of the tag as well. 



I then took the background further by adding several impressions of Tim's postal stamp, again with distress inks.  I thought I messed it up due to poor overlapping, but really with this style, you just can't mess up!  The clock image is from a lovely sheet of paper by Bo Bunny.  I backed it with a torn piece of translucent ledger paper, that I aged with Vintage Photo.  The navy strip of paper was added to give visual weight to the bottom of the tag.  I added another round element by attaching a portion of a globe image towards the to the project, providing balance. 

The embellishment includes a lovely scrap of ribbon, a replica of a vintage key as well as a muse token and light bulb by Tim Holtz.  I just love using jewelry techniques in my altered art, as this is where I started in my artistic journey. 

5 comments:

  1. Hello Rhea! Your tag is beautiful! Love the colors you used and your technique. The clock is striking and the jewelry type embellishments you have hanging are awesome! Beautifully done! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tag! Love the colors and the background, just love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhea, this is so rich and warm, like velvet! Love the background and the dangly things - great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant love all the elements which blend so well.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Design Team are really pleased that you joined us for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week - Thank you for sharing your fab tag with us. Hugs Terry xxx

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!