Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A new art journey



Recently I have made a profound connection in my artistic process.  Sometimes I need a prompt.  Whether it is a challenge, a swap, an article or a blog hop, these triggers really do help me when I am creatively stuck.  With that thought in mind, I luckily joined up in a round robin style art swap in my Kindred Souls group at the last minute.  I am so excited to be participating with a group of such talented artists.


 

I am a sucker for the steampunk look and with Valentines day on the way, I decided to combine the two and create a "Time for Love" journal.  My hope is that participants will add their own take on this unique mashing of classic art book themes. 




My focal here was made from 10 Second Studio sheet metal in Rock Star.  It was embossed with the gear pattern, sanded and then I edged it out in black tape.  A light buffing of copper gilder's paste added another dimension to the focal.  I added some metal bits, being sure to layer and follow the rule of odds.  Odd numbers of embellishments are more pleasing to the eye!

The wings are grungeboard and they were colored with both picket fence and the silver metallic distress stain. I finished them out with a bit more gilders paste as well as some stickels for a bit of sparkle among the grunge.  




The inside pages consist of heavy chipboard and the book was bound with a Cinch.  It really is easy to do and you get such a professional look. Each participant will have thier own page to alter in the chosen theme.  




On the back I repeated the same texture as the front.  Here you can see some of my fatal flaws too.  Because I had so much texture the stamping really did not take and I have really "hard lines" that are not very attractive.  Thus they are on the back of the book!




Here is a close up of my letters and a bit of the delightful texture.  On the letters, you guessed it, gilders paste.  In the background: lots of layers: silver distress stain, stamping, more gilders paste, molding paste, modge podge, tissue tape...




Stay tuned to see the work I do in the books of others.  I see several more creative and helpful art prompts in my future!
Cheers, 

Rhea

12 comments:

  1. Rhea, it's gorgeous!! As the last person to work in your book, I have plenty of time to come up with ideas to do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful, Rhea! I think that combining V-Day (which is sweet) with steampunk (which is edgy) is a great idea, and I look forward to continuing your theme. And I think we are all lucky to be part of this collaborative project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Rhea, that cover is amazing and the heart is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think doing round robins is artfully stimulating. Your book is off to a wonderful start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great texture. Just a beautiful cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool. Cant wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous. You certainly do the themes justice and your book came out stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Rhea, I can't wait to get my hands on your book! The cogs are turning. LOL
    Hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! My favorite is the embossed heart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your steampunk heart and can't wait to see your journal in person!

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!