Saturday, July 16, 2011

Christmas in July

I love the yahoo groups I participate in, one of them being the OWSE.  This is more than a group, it is also a shopping resource.  Well every once in a while they have fun online events, this weekend being Christmas in July.  Now I am not much of a holiday gal, but all the previews for CHA seem to have me in the mood.  I took up guest designer Linda Ledbetter's challenge and created a little ornament.  The style of this piece was inspired by ornaments I made last season from ideas found in Cloth, Paper, Scissors.


I started with a die cut tag from Graphic's 45's Rennasiance paper.  I altered it a bit with home made perfect pearls mist. To make this sturdy I used a piece of laminate counter sample.  The existing die cut holes were strengthened with eyelets.  A few Dew Drops adorn the corners.  The crown was die cut from vintage Spriofoil, dry embossed and then antiqued with alcohol inks.  Stickels were used to add dimension to the existing flourish, the tips of the crown as well as the locket charm.  The charm started with a tiny Santa cut from Tim's seasonal stash.  Diamond Glaze and the stickels seal him safely in the locket.  The wire was doubled and coiled around a mandrel to create a textured hanger for this crafty little challenge. 

Here are a few more ornaments I made last season, many of them also having all of Linda's challenge elements.  Each of them are altered samples of laminate counter top.  Next time your in the hardware store challenge yourself to find something to craft with.  I wonder if these samples can be cut with steel rule dies....hmmmm.



The one pictured above uses a grungeboard shape, stickels, flashing tape, alcohol ink, wire, perfect pearls, and a piece of broken jewelry.


This one has a small grungboard shape, perfect pearls, a watch gear, a metal embellishment that I stamped, wire and distress ink.


I love this one.  The grungeboard heart and wings are distressed with all things Timish: inks, stickels, paint and crackle.  A little charm adds movement and the flashing foil is inked up too.


Another bit of grungeboard colored in inks and pearls.  A cute metal embellishment gives this one a bit of character.  I love how the hangers add a bit of whimsy to these ornaments as well. 

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Not a holiday girl huh. Well you got in the spirit for sure. Again I can't pick a favorite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhea, These are all fabulous. Those laminate samples are perfect for ornaments. I love that idea.

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work - thanks for joining artsee bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These are so very cool. Very inspiring. Now I want to make an ornament. Just thinking of Christmas can be a challenge when it is 100+ every day in July.

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!