Saturday, April 18, 2015

Prima Design Team Call


When I heard the news that Prima Marketing Inc. was hosting an open design team call I decided to give it a try!  I am obsessed with their newest line called Relics and Artifacts and I know my work would be well suited to this line (and many others) due to my love for assemblage.  Additionally my addiction to their metal embellishments, trinkets and flowers will be quite obvious in this post! So, without further ado, here is my application post to design for a wonderful company that I would be absolutely blessed to represent.  P.S. this post is long, please stay tuned!


Altered Metal Box




Supplies:

Altered Metal Frame - Pedestal
Prima Flowers
Gears
Screw Heads
Hexagons
Faucet Wheels
Engraver Buttons
Satin Strip with Rhinestone Center
Faucet Wheels
Resin Icon: Feather
Printery Paper 6x6
Microbeads Silver
Mica Flakes Frosted




This project was inspired by the metal frame as well as a bird's nest I found that had fallen to the ground.  I decided I liked the contrast of the delicate nest and nature theme alongside lots of industrial touches and a metal base.




You may notice that I "hacked" the small gray flowers a bit.  They used to have a pearl center, but I replaced them with lots of metal trinkets that fit better with my theme.




Inside I was sure to embellish in layers to ensure lots of texture and dimension.  The background of the box was treated with silver leaf.  I intended for the reflective quality of the technique to keep the inside as bright as possible.




Perhaps my favorite technique in this project was how I created my little bird.  I started out with Printery paper I treated with Ice Resin.  




Just after adding resin to both sides of the paper, I sprinkled in some art ingredients from Finnabair: micro beads and frosted mica flakes.  After the paper had cured, I used my steel rule die to cut out the bird shape and then I added the gear for an eye, which made for a really cool embellishment!


Printery Shadowbox


Supplies:
Printery 6x6 paper
Art Ingredients Glass Glitter: Pitch Black
Ship Parts
Plate and Label
Typewriter Words
Handles and Turns
Faucet Wheels
Steampunk Air
Hexagons
Screw Heads
Zipper Pulls
Typo Bulbs 1
Engraver Buttons
Gears 



For this portion of the application I wanted to showcase my love for assemblage, texture and found objects.  I have paired a fair number of Prima metal trinkets and junkyard findings along with a few special treasures to make a fun nostalgic collection.





To achieve texture in this piece I chose to blend my edges and corners with a treatment of black glitter.  I love how this adds some sparkle, but still looks grungy and industrial.




I found myself drawn to using symmetry more than once as I pieced this together.  I framed out the outside corners of the box as well as the large inset. 




One trick that I often use to alter things is to layer them.  By adding the tiny gear inside of the hexagon and framing it out with the watch fobs, it created a whole different embellishment.  You can also see my layering technique below with the faucet wheels. 





The special touch of a few trinkets that are vintage also give this piece a bit more of a story.  A vintage clip, a skeleton key, found safety pins from button cards, anything like this can give a piece personal meaning.  I also love these old jacks and how the color has been worn off of them through play!


Winged Heart Plaque

Cartographer Paper
Archival Cast Relics and Artifacts Rising Spirit III



In this project I really wanted my love for mixed media to shine through.  The focal of this project is from the new Archival Cast Relics and Artifacts line and I am just absolutely in love with these art elements.




The plaster pieces are easy to alter and they accept so many different mediums.  I have layered on so many things and they still look fantastic!




Peeking out from behind the heart is a snippet of Cartographer paper.  The map symbolism for me represents growth, new journeys  and a global point of view.  All things I hope to get with a potential new design team appointment! I love incorporating personal meaning and symbolism into my work, I think it makes it just a little bit extra special.




Last up is just a quick snapshot of a project that really shows off the new microbeads as well as some sweet gray flowers.  While this project is not totally Prima, I absolutely love the texture that those tiny beads gave this project and I wanted to show off this creative application of yet another amazing Prima product.




Thank you so much for tuning in for this extra long post!  

Cheers, 

Rhea


7 comments:

  1. They will be lucky if you join their team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why on earth would Prima Not want you on their design team? Your work is so fantastic, especially your mixed media assemblage art...of course they'd want you! Silly girl. You're one of the best, most talented, artists I know. And I know alot. So keep the faith Rhea. You've certainly got my vote:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with getting on their design team; they would be very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed for you! I think your design style fits right in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, my dear, I would say that you are a SHOE-IN with these fabulous projects! I'm so excited for you. You would fit well on their team with your unique and amazing style. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are amazing sending you luck and wishing you well . You are amazing

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!