Well, here I go. I have often thought of starting a blog, and day one of my winter break has offered me the opportunity to finally put my thought in motion.
Today I am going to highlight a little shrine I have made for one of my swap pals. Little does she know, but the recipient of this shrine is a true inspiration of mine. She really likes fairy tales, so this was my chosen theme. I can only hope she likes it.
I have never made a shrine on this scale prior to this project, it is made from a 250 count matchbox as the base.
The images used for the "door" of this shrine were found in a calendar. I loved the image of the window and I thought this added some shape, by extending beyond the boundaries of the matchbox. The keyhole was found in my stash, as was the vintage key I attached to the outside for movement. Amazingly, the little transfer was also discovered while rummaging through some stuff. I was so pleased that the perfect little decal presented itself at the perfect time!
Now, I know that there is no dragon in Rapunzel. However, I just could not pass up this perfect mirror image...so I took creative liberty and used it anyway under the guise that this is a "Fairy Tale Shrine." I added a tiny red gem in his eye, and yet another touch of stickels to accent his fire.
The inside of the shrine is a small scene from Rapunzel. The starting point of this whole project was the game piece from a Renaissance Chess Set. I found it at a flea market some time ago and fell in love with the pieces. This is the first project I have made with that find. I added a bit of paint and wiped away to age the castle a bit. I also distressed a bit with some inks.
The ground is made from Crayola Modeling clay, paint and some stickles for texture. Rapunzel's braid was made from yarn I dyed with some spray ink. The trees in the back ground were charms I cut up and repurposed.
I searched and searched for a Knight in Shining Armor (they are just so hard to find these days!) Alas,I had to make my own. I found a horse charm and a "lord a leaping" charm at my local bead shop that I altered to suit my needs.
The sky is speckled with stickles stars and some natural paper, which is torn to give a bit of dimension. A glittery moon is tucked in a corner.
I could not leave out the back, and felt that an image of Rapunzel would be cute back there. I happened upon a window made of foil that I had purchased a while back. The picture used for our famous princess came from a great piece of collage cardstock. I simply took my little window and used it to find an image that would fit inside appropriately. Again in the end, I was seeking something to add texture, so the felt vines achieved this desire. I added the metal bar for interest as well.
So there it is, my little creation made for one of my swapping pals.
I learned a lot from this experiment. The one thing I would do different next time is plan for a closure for the box. I wish I had the foresight to see that this should have been done earlier in the project. I did not want to mess up the door, so I tied a ribbon around it for shipping purposes and sent it off.