Saturday, May 25, 2013

Junk Book: Ribbon Binding Tutorial



After many requests, here is a photo tutorial for how to assemble this simple junk book with a ribbon binding. With the right stuff on hand, I was able to put this together in  just a few hours.  Here is a link for all items used over at Alpha Stamps.  I have also included a video tour at the end, if you are inclined to listen to me blather on about this fun little book.




I started with a few supplies from Alpha Stamps:

Tim Holtz Worn Cover
Seam Binding
Charms
Sturdy Card stock Scrapbook Paper
pockets, tags, 
Dazzles, Tim Holtz Rub ons.
Tim Holtz mini cling stamps. (fell in love!)


To start off, I cut 10 pieces of quality scrapbook paper to measure 8 3/4 inches long by 6 1/2 inches tall.




I creased each of them in half with a bone folder to make my initial ten signatures.




I cut each piece of seam binding randomly to achieve a staggered look.  The strands of ribbon will need to be twice the height of your book plus extra for tying and hanging.  I would say each of my pieces are at least twenty inches.  I tend to work around measuring when I can.  You will need one strand for each signature, for this book, I had ten.





In order to mimic gilded pages, I added silver gilders paste to the edges  It works very nice on paper as well as metal and wood.  




Each signature is tied into the book with a bit of seam binding or ribbon.  I tie a double not and be sure that the ribbon is lying where I want it.




Charms are then added to some of the ribbon strands.  It is also a good idea to trim up the ends to make it appear balanced and finished.




And then you begin to embellish.  I just love the new fairy vials, I simply added a postal stamp inside this one to make a clever charm.  If you would like to take a closer look inside, and to find a few tips and tricks, I have included a video tour.







Cheers, 

Rhea





4 comments:

  1. your art has dazzled and amazed me for years this is so beautiful it just awes me..please never stop making the beautiful things you do.
    hugs
    susan s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome as usual! Do you teach? If not you should! Even on-line classes...I would sign up!

    Great job Rhea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! This is gorgeous. Love all the charms on the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete

All the comments and feedback you leave affirms my creative spirit on a very deep level. I am grateful for your time and readership!